Bone Broth, a traditional superfood
Bone broth is the new kale! It’s everywhere at the moment. Here at the Basecamp we love it.
Long used for its holistic, therapeutic and gut healing properties, bone broth is now being rediscovered and lauded as a medicinal food.
Shiralee Organic Meats shares with us their recipe:
- 1.5 – 2kg organic beef/lamb/pork bones (meaty like chuck and marrow) – or chicken frames and feet
- Pop then in a large pot, cover with water and add a splash of apple cider vinegar, leave to sit for half an hour
- Turn the heat on high and bring to the boil, reduce the heat to simmer
- Skim any impurities from the top with a sieve – this allows you to have a clear broth
- Add all the things you love (2 – 4 cups) – celery, carrots (sweetens the broth), onion, bay leaves, leeks, parsley, beetroot tops, thyme, a good handful of Celtic Sea Salt and cracked pepper. Chicken broth loves coriander root and seed.
- Cook chicken broth for 8 hours and beef/lamb/pork for 12 hours, (lid on). This amount of time extracts all the nutrients from the bones and gives a lovely gelatinous consistency; recent advice from nutritionalists state that longer diminishes the nutrient value. In a slow cooker make sure you bring the stock to a boil first then cook a little longer.
- Strain and enjoy
Use your broth in everything, from you morning smoothie, soups, stock or as a warming drink.
Shiralee Organic Meats: Award winning butcher specialising in the finest organic and biodynamic meats. 25 Cross Street, Brookvale. www.shiraleemeats.com
This philosophy has seen Joe become a well respected expert and leader in his field, Possibly the southern hemisphere's leading strength and conditioning coach, for outdoor and adventure sports. He has seen 6 of his clients summit Everest, clients cross the Greenland Ice cap, ski to the North Pole, ski tour and ski mountaineering in Antarctica, Iceland, South America and Norway, climb peaks all over the world, trek all the continents and enter trail running , ultra and multi stage events in the Gobi, Andes, Himalayas and the Sahara.
As well as a sought-after coach, Joe is a presenter and speaker.
He is also the founder and owner of Joe's Basecamp Gym, based in Brookvale on Sydney's Northern Beaches. The gym is home to unique functional fitness, strength and conditioning, and endurance training programs for trail running, trek training and mountaineering. The facility caters for all outdoor, adventure sports and wilderness activities - a one of a kind Bucket List gym!
If you want to know more about our coaching programs contact us here to find out how you can be a part of our great community of like minded people.
If you would like to know about working with our trainers to get the most out of your adventures, your events, your sport contact us here.